Static damage is a constant threat anywhere micro-electronic com-ponents are used, but these components are at highest risk during servicing. The Transforming Technologies’ FSM2424 Field Service Kit is designed to quickly and reliably remove static charge on the service technician and provide a safe static-free surface to lay parts. The kit includes a 24” x 24” rugged mat with two 8” x 12” pockets for storing tools, an adjustable wrist band, coil cord and 15’ ground cord.The FSM2424 Field Service Kits eliminates static charge through the principle of grounding. Both the mat and the operator’s wrist band connect to the specialized ground cord which when properly connected to ground, provides a safe path for static charges to drain to ground.
Field Service Procedure
- Upon arrival at the service call site, unpack the field service kit in a convenient area near the equipment to be serviced.
- Remove any accessories from the pockets and attach the ground cord to the mat via one of the two snaps found in the corner of the mat.
- Connect the opposite end of the cord to a reliable ground. Common ground locations are water pipes, unpainted equipment frames, and building frames.
- Slip on the wrist band and adjust the size to fit comfortably around the wrist but tight enough to make contact with the skin at all times. Snap the coil cord to the wrist band.
- Insert the banana plug of the coil cord into the jack of the ground cord. This connects the wrist band to the same common ground as the work surface.
- It is now safe to remove and handle static-sensitive components.